Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never ever prior to have many new methods and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of people the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless way to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help guarantee that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Select the physician, not the laser center. Learn who will really do your procedure, then inquire about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Select a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye see post laser surgeries. What a physician does not understand can harm you.
Ask for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your doctor won't tell you, find another one.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute.
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat various outcome. The very best surgeon worldwide cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more official statement than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of millions of individuals around the world.